Thursday, February 28, 2008

MY FIRST LIVE-IN......

When SALAAM NAMASTE released a few years back, I was totally dumbstruck. Not, by the gorgeous Zinta babe or by an extremely stylish Saif showin' off his Calvin Klein undies. But, by this whole new concept that caught me totally unawares. Ignorance is bliss, they say. Not really. Oblivious to the fact that this was not a new concept after all combined with my ignorance provided enough fuel for my excitement then. "Live-in relationship???", I thought. But isn't that something the high society deals with?? There you see, ignorance at work again...

Well, live-in must be fun. For a relationship committment phobic like me, that's the conclusion I arrived at. I mean Saif danced with Preity on the beaches of Australia, clear blue waters, good song; u could actually forgive me for expecting anything less. Even if not that elaborate it's still got to be fun. Lets forget the pregnancy and stuff like that alryt. Lets just concentrate on the good stuff. MAN.......I wish I had a live-in relationship!!!!

Last Feb(2007) I met a girl on the internet. Well, I knew this girl earlier to be honest. In the sense we worked for the same company but apparently she dint remember my name or for that matter ever seeing me in office!!! She looked absolutely stunning in her pics. And I immediately had a huge crush on her....... AS USUAL!!!.......Two weeks of flirting over the net and tons of meaningless conversations later she decided that she had to meet me. She wanted to come down to Bangalore. Initially, I was a little averse and apprehensive to this idea but gave my consent later. And she had absolutely no qualms about sharing my place.

Excitement may not be the right word to use. I was on cloud #12. I was gonna realise my dream of having a live-in relationship.....finally!!.....Feb 14 coming up and a hot girl for a date. What luck, I thought to myself. God's so kind these days. I got to work almost immediately decking up my place making it look hospitable atleast livable, if a word like that exists. We have a huge rented place but it resembles nothing less than a posh refugee camp, what with clothes and tons of....I dont know...........crap lyin around......

Well, the big day finally arrived. FEB 13TH. I rose early from bed all glowing; the umpteen face packs and no-marks sessions holding me in good stead. A light breakfast and a warm shower later, I was all ready in my new clothes to pick her up from the bus-depot. A slight headache bothered me but that could have just been a head rush and I brushed it aside.

There's somethin' about the Majestic bus depot. There's so much tough life around the place that it somehow always keeps you grounded. And that's exactly what it did to me. I was brought back straight down to earth. It was a crow that did the damage initially. A few droppings on my left shoulder moments before she arrived...........What would I do now?????? Few leaves lyin' around helped me do a li'l bit of damage control. And then.....the big moment finally arrived.....She alighted fron the bus..........And I hit earth with an even harder THUD!!!........Well, she dint look as gorgeous as her pics were...If I was to be blunt, she looked nowhere close. Not that she was ugly, but certain hopes just crashed. Maybe it was just travel lag, I consoled myself. And we set for home. She was quite impressed with my place but there were other things running on my mind. When she looked the same even after a shower, nervousness began to creep in and the truth sank in slowly and painfully. A good camera can do wonders..!!

Well now what??? She's gonna be with me for a week and she's my responsibility..The kind of words that I'm not comfortable with. And besides, is it bout looks anyways?? M no Saif myself....So what's d big deal??? We started talking and within no time I realised that I had gotten myself into deep shit................AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The woman I was dealing with was extremely insecure and over-possessive. From my point of view, her being a woman was enough cause for anxiety.

The next few days that I spent with her can be aptly described as disastrous. Forget the entire week. The very next day was Valentine's day and it was supposed to be our first date together. Ever heard of the power of compounding??? It's applicable not just to investments and finances but to your woes as well....She had an extremely wierd sense of dressing.....bordering on....well I'll just say that she wore very less. And there's no way on earth that I'm gonna take her out in those noodle straps. A good amount of convincing and our FIRST argument later, she agreed to wear more. Atleast wear something...........And there we were at the mall having our FIRST lunch together, our FIRST meaningful conversation on why chole bature is more tasty in Mumbai and watching our FIRST movie together. Not that bad after all, I thought to myself unaware of what lay ahead. I hit the sack early after reachin' home what with being in a state of trance for over 24 hrs.

That was the first time that both of us went out together............That was the last too.....My sweetheart woke me up early next morning. There are certain things about women that men will never understand. If you dont want to understand, that makes things even worse. My beloved and I had the following conversation the next morning:

"Which lipstick do you think i should apply??", she asked...

"Well hon", i replied, " I dint know that we were goin' out today!!!"

"I know we aren't........But tell me na.....Which one???"

"But....but....why do you wanna put all this on early in the morn??"

" Are you gonna tell me or not??", she fumed....

"Apply whichever that you like. They both look the same to me", I exclaimed and went back to bed.

That was yet another mistake. She couldn't understand how I could be so insensitive!! I mean both the lipsticks were poles apart. One gave a glossy finish while the other was a lip moisturizer. And the colours were red and maroon. And I thought they were similar......Ohhhhhh!!!!!!!! How could I be so insensitive???????

The remaining days competed with each other for the 'Worst Days Of My Life' award, one tryin to outwit the other. I went through intense coaching sessions on why men are so inconsiderate, why women are always right, on how a fight can be resolved if a guy shuts his mouth n related topics of HER interest. I completed 'ages' and 12 fights successfully without injuring myself. I became an expert at duckin questions like, "Do you really love me??", "How long is this relationship gonna last??" and worse still........."What if we get married???"........I pressed the panic button a million times, already had a receding hairline, and a thick beard to sport...Depression crept in slowly but surely. Clear blue waters replaced by deep troubled ones.
Songs replaced by arguments. Love replaced by a total lack of it. Australia replaced by Bangalore and fantasy replaced by reality.

What went wrong with my live-in then??? Was it my over expectations?? Immaturity?? Or simply a wierd woman?? A mixture of all these I guess. She left by the end of the week waving goodbye kisses et all. But where do I go from here? I'm scared of committment, relationships, marriage and everything that has a similar undertone. Live-in was my only ray of hope. And that just went kaput. WHAT NOW???????????

Knowledge is power, she said, once during an argument. She was right. Maybe I should learn the difference between a lipstick gloss and lip moisturizer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 comments:

jyothi said...

hey..i nvr knew u cud write lik dis..man,i tink des shud b put in textbooks as reference material or sumthin..jokes apart,twas extremely hilarious..gud wrk buddy..

Unknown said...

hEi..
That woz one f the best blogz i ve been through.And am bereft f wordz when asked to comment on thiz post..simply WOoOoOoooOW.Heii itz high time u distinguish b/w lipstick gloss n lipstick moisturizer..ahhaa..n yeahhh u gave me a visual treat too.As she sed knowledge z power n i wonder y cudnt she see that u sed it not coz f ur ignorence on lipstick ya glozz but ,itz ur wisdom that made u think that either f thm r not gonna bring in any effect on her.hhahah..that wud ve been adding more spice..

anywayz...keep posting..u got a great sense f putting in ideaz in the most sensible form.wishing u all the best

Unknown said...

uff.......tat was a gud 1...trust me, al guys has 2 read this...n d next tym they get into stuffs has 2remb al these things.. it mite hapn 2 them also, cox there r lots of girls like this...n d next tym u come across sum good snaps,just dont belive it n get into deep shit....like this....n in real life its not possible 2 hapn like SAALAM NAMASTE....wat say... nyways gud luck 4 d next tym n b more careful while getting into al these stuffs.....good luck...:)
SOWMYA

Unknown said...

hmmn ......i seriosly din expect this kinda vocabulary from a btlit ian......more thn the "naughty" things, the intersting things,,its abt the lingo .....loved it loads...really impressive mate....and im sure u still havent learnt from ur stupid mistakes to decide on "her" lipgloss or moisturiser and watnot...newys cheers mate...keep it high ...expecting more from u the next time u text a blog....
thnks & regards..

navin

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Shri..... wat can i say bout you!! you keep suprising me!! Well i knew u could write but i didnt know you would on an issue like this!!
AMAZED was wat i was after reading it..... my eyes were as big as an owl tryin to see in broad day sunlight!!
I was equally entertained coz the text made me visualize it happenin!!
This is wat i honestly felt after reading your blog but the MORAL the whole learning behind it would not agree to wat i think!! I would have imagined you sayin sumthin like "Jeez, guys she was not my type" or "That was one hell of an Experience" or " Guy friends- Moral of the story learn the difference" but wat you actually did was GIVE UP on that situation and say " I'm scared of committment, relationships, marriage and everything that has a similar undertone."
Maybe for that girl who looks good in pics and not so very in real life thinks knowledge is knowing the difference between and a glossy lipstick and the one that moisturizes , even i dnt know the f****** difference but wat is knowledge for you?? Jus dating that ONE girl that dosent even know wat knowledge is?
She aint the only fish in the sea!! There are so many girls that have more to them than that!!
I hope you'll come across one soon!!!

Love ya!! keep writing!!

Megz said...

heyy its very interesting dude!!very well written

P.S
Dont watch such movies again!!

Anonymous said...

i LOVED this one.... it was so YOU !!!!
Miss you LOTSSSSS !!!!
Pran

Anonymous said...

i really dont know why wud u keep only the good posts n delete the others which are not so good..or are these people really happy with what u have written?..they calling this funny..i cant feel anything but sad for the girl for being declared a typical psychotic case of the definition of a woman which the Indian man religiously follow having read the typecasted articles in gazillion newspaper screaming the oh so typecasted - man from mars,women from venus crap..if that anyways is a disorder u guys consider!!! u know why dint u learn the diff between her lipstick color..cuz for the obvious reason..u dint love her..next time u do fall in love..find ureself gifting the varied shades of purple to ure girlfrn n sayin.."this is mauve n thaaattt is port wine"!!!
n too bad u cudnt really find luck with a good livein..mine was mindblowingly awesome..!!it takes more than a weird man or a woman when it comes to sharing time together..let alone sharing a house...more than immaturity...more than expectations..it really isnt "all fun/all for fun" u know...

heartbreakid said...

its not true that i delete the bad posts...i would never do that since it wouldnt help me grow as a writer...i accept ur comments and am grateful to u for reading my blog, no matter who you are....thanx a lot...ur comments are valued...

Unknown said...

hi that was the best i everr read.... I highly recommend ppl to read ur blogs.... May b if u becm an author sm day, count me to be 1 of ur hardcore fans... keep writng!

wisegirl said...

maybe you've not met the right person.....
anyway nice read..

Anonymous said...

Instead of learning the difference between lipstick gloss and lip moisturizer, you should learn to lie better....:p That was hilarious...Hahahaa I am a girl but i can understand where your coming from, it all sounds very traumatic....for what its worth... we are not all clones of your "witch of the east":p Hopefully some day you will see that...:p

Noorain**chica in red** said...

awesome!!!!!!!!mind blowin!!!!!!superb!!!!

Noorain**chica in red** said...

ooookk dat waz juz d start!!!herez d real comment!!!man!!was i bowled over....really gud!!!it really bought a smile on my face!!! diz iz to miss anonymous feminist...either u don understan d meanin or d purpose of a blog.....i guess itd b nice if u critically claimed on hiz vocab or sense of expression...u cant comment on d basic IDEA of expresssion..itz hiz ideaz,hiz ideologies,hiz traumatic stumbling..n HIZ RIGHT of expression...v aint readin here 2 tell whoz rite n whoz wron..guess our man totally deserves some appreciation!!!!!! coz shri!!im sooo impressed...count me in ur list of diehard fanz...gr8!!

Sashu... said...

de way u went about this one z kewl..hilarious indeed :) but reflects the tpical male chauvnistic attitude!! nevertheless, i liked de post for it kept me glues till de last word n i had a smile on my lips by de enda f it :)thats all urs!! kudoz mate!!

p.s# am an ol'classmate f urs..thou derz no chance u'd remember!! ;)